Physically locked down yet emotionally Free!!
How, it is possible ?
Mental health and COVID-19
What are some of the experts saying
1.WHO – World Health Organization
As the coronavirus pandemic rapidly sweeps across the world, it is inducing a considerable degree of fear, worry and concern in the population at large and among certain groups in particular, such as older adults, care providers and people with underlying health conditions.
2.http://www.cdc.gov – center for disease control and prevention –
The outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may be stressful for people. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. Find ways you and your family can reduce stress.
Stress during an infectious disease outbreak can include:
-Fear and worry about your own health and the health of your loved ones.
-Changes in sleep or eating patterns.
-Difficulty sleeping or concentrating.
-Worsening of chronic health problems.
-Worsening of mental health conditions.
-Increased use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs
-The corona virus pandemic could have a “profound” effect on people’s mental health – now and in the future, say psychiatrists and psychologists who are calling for urgent research.
As we can see from above few reports about COVID -19 and mental health, this outbreak/ Lockdown is taking control of our mind, body and for many, it has already become a survival threat.
Every human being, no matter in which part of the globe he/she resides, this tiny ( but not puny) COVID 19 virus has deeply affected his/her lifestyle and has made them change their old belief systems, rather forcibly. Alas! circumstances sometimes do have such a profound impact on human beings.
As many reports from various sources say, mental anguish has tormented people more than the actual virus.
- Many people are constantly worrying about their jobs, about their finances. They are anxious about the future, their relationships, about their freedom to socialize.
- COVID-19 outbreak is hampering our basic need to move around freely, to meet people easily without constraint and compulsion of mask or any covering. These things are making many of us feel lonely, sad.
- Many people are dwelling in the past and desire to have that life back again.
- Some people are struggling to hold on their current jobs, they are exhausted but still fighting to survive to run their families.
- Due to lockdown, everyone has locked at home either completely alone or with family members, actually with whom they are unable to cope. Relationship issues, physical and verbal abuse are at pick due to lockdown in some families.
We can add many other emotional, psychological, behavioral issues here, those are becoming more complicated in this testing period. Compare to Corona Virus Positive cases, these emotional imbalance cases are discovering in large number.
Dr Edward Bach has given us a wonderful self-healing system in 1936, which is still helping so many people to restore their balance, enhance their emotional immunity in a very natural way. It is a full-proof supportive system to use in this pandemic outbreak.
As Dr Bach stated in his book Heal Thyself ; The fundamental concept of this system is according to the structure of the personality and the emotional constitution, the same illness can cause very different psychological symptoms in different individuals. It is the effect that needs treatment because they guide us to the real cause.
Dr Bach discovered total 38 flower remedies,each prepared from the flowers of wild plants, trees and bushes. They work by treating the individual, rather than the disease or its symptoms. Each remedy is for a different emotion, mood or personality and because they cover all states of mind, either individually or in combination, the remedies comprise a timeless system that will help everyone, no matter where they live or into which era they have been born. society and pace of life changes with time, but human natures and emotional outlook remains the same- for which the remedies are intended.
The 38 remedies are placed under the following 7 headings-
- For Fear
- For uncertainty
- For insufficient interest in present circumstances
- For Loneliness
- For those Over- sensitive to influence and ideas.
- For Despondency or Despair
- For Over-care for welfare for others.
The purpose of the remedies is to support the patient’s fight against illness by addressing the emotional factors like depression, anxiety and trauma that are thought to impede physical healing. They can also be used preventively, at times of outbreak of anxiety and stress, and particularly helpful for the many people who feel generally tired and unwell without a specific medical diagnosis.
It is important to note that they are not included as a substitute for medical treatment, rather they support to any other medicine or treatment person is taking.
These remedies can help to calm the emotional aspects of what this current pandemic have brought to mankind. Let’s see some examples–
- Mimulus – this remedy is from ” For Fear” group. This remedy is for fear from known casues, such as; illness, death, accidents, pain, the dark, cold, poverty, loss of friend or job, public speaking. Fear of the corona virus, of becoming unwell, fear of the life changes COVID-19 causes, fear of job-loss, fear of financial difficulties – these are all common fears that we can identify, and as Mimulus is the remedy for known fears, it can be particularly helpful at this time.
- Gorse– Gorse is the remedy from “For Those Who Suffer Uncertainty” group. Gorse is for extreme hopelessness and despair, for people who have given up the fight. They feel that there is no light at the end of the tunnel and lost all hope. They may believe that their illness is hereditary and therefore incurable. They feel condemned to pain and suffering and do not try to get better.
We will find out more about This Wonderful healing system in my coming articles…….
stay tuned here!
Anagha P. Atgur, Co-founder VitaMind Family Mental Wellness.
International Psychological Counselor, Psychotherapist, Bach Flower Remedy Registered Practitioner, London.